EthCC Hackathon 2022: Building a decentralized version of Discourse
We are having a shared bounty this year with Ceramic to encourage developers to build a decentralized version of the Discourse forum on top of Ceramic and the Orbis SDK. And another bounty to encourage developers to build a web3 Patreon concept leveraging NFTs and a social layer built on Orbis.
Bounty #1: Decentralized Discourse
Prize: 2500€ (1250€ from Ceramic + 1250€ from Orbis)
Bounty #2: Web3 Social Membership
Prize: 2000€ from Orbis
Suggestions for the Decentralized Discourse concept
Here are some suggestions to explain how we would structure this:
- Each individual forum would be a group
- This forum/group would have different channels for each topic in the forum
- Then users would share proposals or discussions as posts in the specific topics/channels using the
- Finally users could reply / comment in each discussions by sharing post with the
parentset to the initial
- As a bonus you could even have token gated channels/topics by using the encryptionRules object in the channels and posts.
The great thing if you implement it like this is that it would follow our architecture and because all of the content shared on Orbis is stored on Ceramic using our schemas, every independent forum could also be accessed with UIs built on our SDK (like orbis.club). And the proposals / discussions would also be visible on the feed.
Suggestions for the Web3 Social Membership concept
We would recommend using the token gated concept we have for posts or channels.
- Posts can be token gated using specific encryption rules in the createPost function. In that case the post is still shared on ceramic but is encrypted by Lit Protocol.
- The posts then need to be decrypted using the decryptPost function. Only users owning the specific token (can be
ERC1155) can decrypt the content.